Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Why Was the Bloodhound Gang a Band?

I’m not the best individual to argue taste nor do I pride myself in every album I purchase being a masterpiece, but isn’t it time that we actually took pride in music particularly the lyrics that go into our songs? How does the Bloodhound Gang become a band? Is it a fear of sex and language so much that when a dirty word or body part is referenced it is treated like the greatest joke ever?

It is true that “dirty” words don’t need to be mainstays in artistic form but there are far more seething words that one could use if one wished to humiliate and humble somebody. Why must we continue to give such poorly spoken words so much power and then ignore poorly spoken phrases?

Take a sample off of the biggest song by the Bloodhound Gang Bad Touch:
Love the kind you clean up with a mop and bucket
Like the lost catacombs of Egypt only God knows where we stuck it
Hieroglyphics? Let me be Pacific I wanna be down in your South Seas
But I got this notion that the motion of your ocean means "Small Craft Advisory"

Vince Neil would inform you that lyrics like this and what his band Motley Crue gave us are supposed to be about having a good time, not like the angst that music after him would give us. Music, to Neil, is supposed to be a distraction not something we need think about.

For me, I’ll spin The Clash’s 1977 masterpiece White Man In Hammersmith Palais:
The new groups are not concerned
With what there is to be learned
They got Burton suits, you think it’s funny
Turning rebellion into money

Next Week: At Mule’s Funeral

No comments: