Thursday, October 05, 2006

How You Feelin?

So I was watching South Park last night and it got me to thinking, which it usually does, which is why I watch it. The kids were playing a video game and the thematic joke of the show was that people take their fake lives within the game more seriously than their real life. Which is obviously sad and yet completely understandable.

I work at an office doing a job that any reasonably intelligent person can do. If you measure how important something is by how many people can capably do it then it ranks fairly low on the list. But I'm pretty dang awesome at video game baseball. I can make trades and make financial decisions and everything and I'm successful. So why would I bother investing time into the real life when I'm just average at it? We all want to be special and I'm pretty fucking special when it comes to certain video games.

This also applies to other hobbies. I'm a solid golfer. I've shot par, which is something few golfers have any chance of doing. The average golfer shoots something like 90. I typically settle in 10-12 strokes less than that. If everyone was measured on their golfing ability I'd be in the top 15 percent, or higher if the non-golfers of the world weren't given some time to learn the game before being tested. And yet I only golf once a week at the most.

So why not pursue the things I do really well? Other than the fact that they don't pay me? Good question. I think I need to find out. I'm not saying I'm quitting my job to play video games, I'm gonna need electricity for that so I have to keep money coming in, I guess that I'm just bummed out that much like Loverboy predicted, I'm still Working for the Weekend.

No comments: