Thursday, October 19, 2006

Apologies to Dave

"We're coming up on Alexandria" he said. Eyeing the map with a little flashlight in the dark. I know that. I've made this trip 100 times. Every other venture I've known what was on the other end. New friends, new classes, a degree on the one end. Pumpkin pie, snow football with my high school friends, gifts by candle light with my family on the other.

I don't know why he's looking at the map to begin with. From Minneapolis to Moorhead is all one road anyway. Probably just killing time. Trying to not be so damn awkward every second we're together. Can't say I blame him.

I still don't know why I asked him to come. He's just a friend of a friend. Another guy stuck at home in January with nothing to do except stare out the window at the snow. And he's not all bad. I just don't know him. He's good to drink with though. We'll have to grab a beer or maybe some cider once we get to town. After we see her anyway. Maybe before. Yeah, definitely before we see her.

We're almost there now. He's got Ani Difranco on the radio. She's not bad. I could definitely use this on her. She'd love this stuff. Pick out a line, a lyric to remember. It's got to be good. Memorable. Ooh, this song's good, not really a love song or anything but it's really fucking good. Remember the line...

you know i don't look forward to seeing you again
you'll look like a photograph of yourself,
taken from far, far away
and i won't know what to do,
and i won't know what to say...


"That line's really good. What's this song?" He says "Untouchable Face." Cool. I don't think he uses this stuff on girls. I think he likes it for real. He's not really a ladies man. Pretty much dead weight as a wingman. In fact worse than deadweight since he doesn't care. Sabotage the whole damn night just for a laugh. Weird guy, good, but I just don't get him. Why did I ask him to come along again?

We're almost to Moorhead. To her. I don't know what to say. "What do you think I should tell her? I don't want to be too obvious." He says "You just drove 4 hours in the snow for the express reason of seeing her. I think obvious has already been established." Dammit. "But there's nothing wrong with letting her know you're there to see her. I mean, you did drive 4 hours in the snow for her, that's kinda flattering isn't it?" Right, that's why I brought him.

There's her house. Not yet. Still need a cider. And we've got another friend that both of us will enjoy seeing first. Calm the nerves. Get the stupid road chitchat out of the way with friends instead of...well, whatever she might be to me.

The house is on a quiet street. I park the car and we move noiselessly up the walk. He stops. Looks like he's gonna say something but just sorta smiles. It's nice how quiet it can be up here. I should be at her place. It's perfect right now. How could she not fall in love with me when it's so quiet and the snow is falling and the air is crisp like this? I should be there. "Can we make this quick?"

He says nothing and just knocks on the door. A girl answers. One of the roomies. The arty one. She lets us in and we talk for a bit. Our friend isn't here. He makes her laugh. Why can't he do that when he's supposed to be a wingman? He only makes himself laugh. The arty girl's in a hurry if her walk is any indication. We'll go, grab something to eat, get a beer.

We head out the door. It's still silent outside. Still perfect. "She's the one." he says. "What?" "Her, she's the one for me."

What the fuck just happened?

"Let's get something to eat."

"What about the girl?"

"She knows I just drove 4 hours in the snow just to meet her. She'll still be here when we come back."

And she was.

No comments: