Monday, March 06, 2006

The Weekend (Everybody's working for...)

I was sick on Friday (conveniently) so I had a long weekend. I have no regrets. Well, I was actually sick (inconveniently) so that was irritating but that just allowed to me enjoy the laziness that is inherent in a 3 day weekend. Full Disclosure - I did have a bit of scotch on Thursday night that may have contributed to my illness. Medical research in this area has been inconclusive though so I'm not going to sully my reputation by implying that I was done in by a Johnny Red hangover. Sub-note: I really need to buy better scotch if I'm going to continue drinking it. To this point in my life I thought of Johnny Red as the equivalent of Absolut or Sky vodka. 2nd shelf or so. After further research I would have to say Johnny Red is, at best, equivalent to Smirnoff and probably not a far cry from Ice Wolf or whatever the hell the rotgut is called.

Anywho, I had a long weekend and I accomplished not a thing during my three days of freedom. I did manage to do a chunk of reading. I'm working through Lamb by Christopher Moore. I'd tell you more but I'm planning an 18 page review next week that will bore dr gonzo to tears so I don't want to ruin it. I also watched Star Wars Episode III at 8:30 in the morning. There's something fantastic about watching a childish movie that early in the day, wrapped in blankets on the couch and dozing off for 10 minutes at a time. Also, with that movie it's completely acceptable to tune out for large portions. I know people have said that it was much better than the other two prequels (of which I agree) but it's still almost unwatchable at critical points. Y'know, like when the characters are talking. Those parts suck. I'm usually all about the story and not about the fights/cgi/whatnot but with SW I revert back to childhood and just want to see some heads lopped off with a saber.

Keeping with my "on the couch" theme I managed to watch most of the Oscars last night as well. I say "most of" because, through the miracle of modern technology I just skipped the boring parts with my tivo. I can't say enough about tivo. Anything that allows me to skip over all the commercials AND lets me pause Salma Hayek is, like Salma herself, a gift from the gods.

The show was alright I guess. I like Jon Stewart from the Daily Show so it was good to see him not pull a Letterman. In many ways Letterman was like Galadriel from Lord of the Rings. After completely screwing the pooch at the Oscars I wonder if he slumped his shoulders and said "I shall diminish and go to CBS". I don't remember the exact chronology but I think at that point in time Letterman officially stopped being funny.

That last paragraph was half hearted and wholly nerdalicious.

I'm glad that Brokeback didn't win much of anything. That makes me feel pretty inside. I don't really know why. I don't have any issues with gay people, I just felt like the movie was forcing the issue a bit. Annie Proulx, the author of the short story the movie was based on, has a history (which she intends) of taking gay characters and putting them in traditionally non-gay settings. Which is the very essence of forcing the issue. So I haven't bothered to see the movie. I'm sure I will at some point. It can't be any more gay than Moulin Rouge with Nicole Kidman. I made it through half of that movie. I can't believe Brokeback is worse.

I'm disappointed Joaquin didn't pull out the best actor win. I love Philip Seymour Hoffman but I really wanted to see Joaquin win. I don't know why. It's not like I'm going to look back at the movie 10 years from now and my viewing pleasure will be reduced because Joaquin didn't win the oscar. Walk the Line was a great movie no matter what. I guess this goes back to that whole weird thing I have with celebrities where I choose who I like and don't like based on weird things. I digress.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you have a crush on joaquin too? oo, lets titter about it!

MF said...

um...did I say crush? I suppose it's possible I have a non-sexual mancrush on Joaquin but I don't know about tittering. I've not tittered before. Unless it's something having to do with the female anatomy, and even then I don't think it's called "tittering".

Anonymous said...

you titter like a little girl.

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to the 18 page review on Lamb.